The Laura (Riding) Jackson Teen Writers Fellow is a prestigious award that recognizes students who demonstrate dedication and commitment to the development of their literary skills and talents. To become a Teen Writers Fellow, you must:
- Attend 3 Teen Writers Workshops sponsored by the Laura (Riding) Jackson Foundation
- Submit an original piece of writing inspired by each workshop. Specific instructions for these prompts will be available at the end of each online workshop.
- Submit a final piece of writing inspired by your overall participation in the Teen Writers Workshops.
If you are submitting a writing sample for a workshop:
Please refer to the workshop's specific instructions for the prompt. Submit your writing sample as a Word document in 12pt font.
If you are submitting the final writing sample for a Teen Writers Fellowship:
Please read the following criteria carefully:
- The writing sample must be original and creative
- Poems, short stories, personal narratives or essays, graphic novels, plays, song lyrics, and creative non-fiction pieces are all acceptable
- Prose samples should be 500-1,000 words; poetry submission should be either one long poem or three shorter poems totaling 500-1,000 words
- Research papers or other school assignments will not be accepted
- Include an introductory paragraph explaining the inspiration for the piece as well as some brief commentary on the writing process involved
- Must be a polished final draft, double spaced in 12 point font, submitted in a Word document format that is suitable for publication on the LRJ website.
The Laura (Riding) Jackson Foundation will review your submission. Teen Writers Fellows will be formally recognized with award certificates at the LRJ Poetry Barbecue in the Spring. They will also have the opportunity to read their work to the audience and the option to publish their work on the LRJ website.
Seniors who complete the Fellowship before November will receive their Fellows Awards earlier so they may be include the recognition in their college applications.
If you have any questions, feel free to email us at email@example.com.