"Phenomenal Women" Poetry Competition
Sponsored by The Laura (Riding) Jackson Foundation and the American Association of University Women (AAUW) Vero Beach and Stuart Chapters
Celebrating Phenomenal Women in Women’s History Month
In conjunction with the Vero Beach Chapter of AAUW’s March 19, 2023, presentation:
Ami Brabson’s “Phenomenal Women” Cabaret©
ALL poets who are residents of the Florida Treasure Coast and Space Coast are invited to submit up to three poems (previously unpublished) about phenomenal women.
First place poet will receive $250.00 and a reading at the March 19th event in Vero Beach.
Second and Third place will read at the March 19th event in Vero Beach.
First, second, third, honorable mention and selected poems will be published in a chapbook by Seizin Press Vero© (an imprint of the Laura (Riding) Jackson Foundation).
- Submissions due by February 13, 2023
- All adults ages 18+
- Residents of Treasure Coast or Space Coast of Florida (this means you have a residence with a mailing address in the following counties: Martin, St. Lucie, Indian River, or Brevard)
- Maximum Line Length is 50 lines
- Only previously unpublished works are allowed
- Poems will be blind review; do not put your name anywhere except in the entrance form
- $10 entrance fee and you may submit up to 3 poems in your entry
Further questions? Please email Dr. Jacque Jacobs: email@example.com
The Laura (Riding) Jackson Teen Fellow is a prestigious award that recognizes students who demonstrate dedication and commitment to the development of their literary skills and talents. To become an LRJF Teen Fellow, you must:
- Attend 3 Teen Writers Workshops sponsored by the Laura (Riding) Jackson Foundation. One of the 3 may be an online workshop.
- Submit an original piece of writing inspired by one of the workshops attended.
- Submit a final piece of writing inspired by your overall participation in the Teen Writers Workshops.
When submitting a writing sample based on a workshop attended:
Submit your writing sample as a Word document in 12pt font. It must be submitted within 30 days of the date of the workshop.
When submitting the final writing sample for an LRJF Teen Fellowship Award:
Please read the following criteria carefully:
- The writing sample must be original and creative
- Poems, short stories, personal narratives or essays, graphic novels, plays, song lyrics, and creative non-fiction pieces are all acceptable
- Prose samples should be 500-1,000 words; poetry submission should be either one long poem or three shorter poems totaling 500-1,000 words
- Research papers or other school assignments will not be accepted
- Include an introductory paragraph explaining the inspiration for the piece as well as some brief commentary on the writing process involved
- Must be a polished final draft, double spaced in 12 point font, submitted in a Word document format that is suitable for publication on the LRJ website
- Must be submitted ONLY AFTER all 3 workshops have been attended and the Workshop-based submission has been approved by LRJF
The Laura (Riding) Jackson Foundation will review your submission. Teen Fellows will be formally recognized with award certificates at the LRJF Poetry Barbecue in the Spring. They will also have the opportunity to read their work to the audience and the option to publish their work on the LRJ website.
Seniors who complete the Fellowship before November will receive their Fellows Awards earlier so they may be include the recognition in their college applications.
If you have any questions, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.