The Laura (Riding) Jackson Teen Fellow is a prestigious award that recognizes students who demonstrate dedication and commitment to the development of their literary skills and talents. To become an LRJF Teen Fellow, you must:
- Attend 3 Teen Writers Workshops sponsored by the Laura (Riding) Jackson Foundation. One of the 3 may be an online workshop.
- Submit an original piece of writing inspired by one of the workshops attended.
- Submit a final piece of writing inspired by your overall participation in the Teen Writers Workshops.
When submitting a writing sample based on a workshop attended:
Submit your writing sample as a Word document in 12pt font. It must be submitted within 30 days of the date of the workshop.
When submitting the final writing sample for an LRJF Teen Fellowship Award:
Please read the following criteria carefully:
- The writing sample must be original and creative
- Poems, short stories, personal narratives or essays, graphic novels, plays, song lyrics, and creative non-fiction pieces are all acceptable
- Prose samples should be 500-1,000 words; poetry submission should be either one long poem or three shorter poems totaling 500-1,000 words
- Research papers or other school assignments will not be accepted
- Include an introductory paragraph explaining the inspiration for the piece as well as some brief commentary on the writing process involved
- Must be a polished final draft, double spaced in 12 point font, submitted in a Word document format that is suitable for publication on the LRJ website
- Must be submitted ONLY AFTER all 3 workshops have been attended and the Workshop-based submission has been approved by LRJF
The Laura (Riding) Jackson Foundation will review your submission. Teen Writing Fellows will be formally recognized with certificates at an award ceremony at which they will have the opportunity to read their work to the audience and the option to publish their work on our website.
The next Teen Fellows Award Ceremony will be held at the Writing Center in May 2023. The deadline for getting your submissions in for the May awards is April 30, 2023.
If you have any questions, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.